Sunday, February 3, 2013

Book Review: Black City by Elizabeth Richards


     I really enjoyed reading this book. It was interesting to see the twist that the author threw in with the dystopian aspect of the book. Natalie and Ash, the two main characters, are two people that are attracted to each other, even though it is forbidden. This book does have an aspect of “instalove,” but considering that it deals with darlings (vampires) it didn’t bother me really. I still really enjoyed the book. I stayed up extremely late one night to finish it because I couldn’t set it down. It was a page-turner for me at the end. I haven’t read a lot of dystopian novels so I am not burnt out on them as some people may be. This book has a kind of dark fantasy feel to it as well; it is almost post apocalyptic. I ended up giving this book a 4 out of 5 stars and the cover is gorgeous. I can’t wait to read the sequel, Phoenix. It comes out in 2013. I plan on purchasing this and the sequel very soon.
     Natalie is the daughter of an emissary, a government official. While Ash is a twin-blood, meaning he is half human and half darkling (vampire). The government constructed a wall that divided the city after the war to separate a majority of the darklings from the humans. There are a few exceptions on the human side of the wall. Some darklings are permitted as long as they are tagged to show whose property they are; they fulfill the role of servants in many cases. It is forbidden for a human and a darkling or twin-blood to be together. But, for some reason, Ash and Natalie are drawn to each other. There is a interesting reason behind this that is explained in the book; however, I do not want to include any spoilers for anyone. It is a great book. It goes deeper than just the dystopian novel where the government controls everything. It deals with racism and genocide, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment